Here are 18 crazy interesting money facts to usher in the new financial year:
- Early humans used blood and bat poo as money.
- The world's first paper money was created in China 1400 years ago.
- In 1923, the German currency became so worthless that people used it as wallpaper.
- The idea for the first ATM was conceived in a bathtub.
- Cash contains traces of the flu virus... and cocaine !!
- Paper money can transport live flu virus for over two weeks.
- Arguing about money is the top predictor of divorce, a study found.
- Americans spend more money on pets yearly than Germany spends on its entire defense budget.
- There are more credit cards than people in the U.S.
- More Monopoly money is printed annually than real money.
- The International Space Station is the most expensive object ever built - it cost US$ 150 billion.
- Drug lord Pablo Escobar had so much cash that rats ate almost $1 billion of his money each year.
- At a spending rate of $1 million a day, it would take Bill Gates 218 years to spend all his money.
- Zimbabwe abandoned its own currency in 2009 and currently has 8 official currencies as legal tender including the Indian rupee.
- There are more than 700 crypto-currencies being publicly traded today.
- One of the first Bitcoin transactions involved buying a pizza for 10,000 BTC - that's crores of rupees as of today !!
- India's first conference on virtual currencies is being held in Mumbai on 23rd May, 2016.
- Bob Marley's final words were "Money can't buy life".